Ritz Carlton Kyoto
The Ritz Carlton Kyoto continues the city's proud tradition of warm hospitality and delicious gastronomy. This superb property sits on the Kamogawa River and includes a rich variety of services for all the family, including adventure, relaxation, and cultural emersion.
Opened early 2014, the Ritz Carlton Kyoto is located in the heart of the city and presents a harmonious combination of traditional and modern Japanese designs, including,
- Elements of Japanese concepts utage (“feast”), seido (“stillness and movement”), miyabi (“elegance”), hana (“opulence”), and nagomi (“calm”) fill the public spaces, guest rooms, and dining locations.
- A variety of hardwoods are used throughout the hotel (walnut, oak, paulownia, horse chesnut, and zebra wood) providing natural and stylised settings.
- Iconic Japanese craftsmanship is on display with exquisite lacquer work, nishijin-ori fabrics, and local patterning using textiles and woodwork.
- The property's rich history is reflected in interior features of rock gardens, waterfalls, and even the original Ebisugawa-tei mansion, now a private room in the La Locanda Italian restaurant.
- The Tale of Genji is featured throughout, with over 80 artists interpreting its themes in more than 400 works displayed in public spaces and guest accommodations.
As one of the original full-service luxury hotels to open in this city, the Ritz Carlton Kyoto provides sublime suites with beautiful views and settings for every family. The most suitable include,
- Garden Terrace Suites (70 sqm) offering a master bedroom with a seating area, and a master bathroom with cherry blossom designs within the deep bathtub and separate walk-in rainforest shower. There is a living area with lounge seating, an entertainment area, a dining area for 2, a gourmet minibar, and a furnished outdoor terrace accessible from every room. This beautiful terrace has views directly to a private rock garden, the Kamogawa River, and the Higashiyama Mountain.
- Suite Tsukimi (140 sqm) features a large master bedroom with seating for 2 and a marble master bathroom with a combined bathtub and rainforest shower as well as an intricate cherry blossom decoration. The expansive living area includes a lounge room with workspace, entertaining area, and a dining room for 5 guests. There is a guest bathroom near the entrance and an impressive 'moon viewing' deck that is furnished and complemented by a private Japanese garden.
- The opulent Ritz-Carlton Suite (212 sqm) presents a residential accommodation with master bedroom with separate furnished reading room and walk-in closet. The large master bathroom includes a spa-style bathtub surrounded by walk-in rainforest showers and a powder room. There is a living area with lounge and entertainment spaces, a fireplace, a guest bathroom, and a separate study room. The private dining room seats 8 guests and is connected to a service kitchen. Running along the entire suite is an impressive furnished terrace with fireplace, and views of both the Kamogawa River and Higashiyama Mountain.
The Ritz Carlton Kyoto prepares Michelin awarded cuisine with Kyoto traditions and delicious international delicacies, such as,
- Mizuki is the Michelin starred flagship restaurant offering tempura, teppan, sushi, and a kaiseki service.
- La Locanda is a beautiful wood-panelled Italian restaurant serving classic cuisine with a contemporary twist. There are special private dining areas (one containing the original townhouse from 1908), an open kitchen, and a walk-in cellar with charcuterie and cheeses.
- The Lobby Louge is the perfect place to enjoy drinks and light snacks all day as well as brunch and afternoon tea services.
- Offering a candle-lit haven, The Bar is the destination for snacks and signature cocktails.
- This property also has a special in-house Pierre Herme boutique offering the finest French desserts.
Wellness & Activities
The Ritz Carlton Kyoto has an essential in-house Spa as well as a rich offering of cultural activities, such as,
- Spa Ritz Carlton offers 7 treatment rooms and 1 spa suite with contemporary Japanese design. Following local rituals, therapists utilise such ingredients as green tea and bamboo. ESPA products are used throughout the many therapies and treatments.
- The 24-hour fitness centre features the latest Technogym cardio and weight equipment. There are free weights available as well as a yoga and stretching area. Athletic clothing is available to rent.
- A 20m indoor pool is surrounded by loungers and a rock waterfall. Both a dry sauna and steam room are located nearby. The pool space is reserved for guests ages 4 and above.
- Experiences and activities offered by this property include traditional papercraft, chanting and Japanese drum lessons, tandem bike rides, hikes, mapped runs, bike hire and cycle tours, art tours, a kimono experience, a samurai experience, rickshaw rides, sake tasing, furoshiki, origami, mochi, and tosenkyo.
Kids will have the time of their lives at the Ritz Carlton Kyoto. Here they will find one of the greatest selections of cultural and creative services from the Ritz Kids program, including,
- Bike hire for older kids, and use of the relaxing indoor pool.
- Cooking classes (sushi and Japanese sweets), washi, furoshiki, and origami activities, soap making, balloon workshops, dress-ups, and a samurai experience.
- One special activity is the Ritz Carlton treasure hunt for special buddha statues, using a treasure map. This activity is perfect for exploring the property and discovering cultural details.
- Ritz Carlton Tokyo also offers Ritz Kids Nights where kids are cared for by professionals. They enjoy a meal and partake in fun and educational activities.
- There are also in-room tents, toys, books, and special kid-sized furniture available as well.
The quality of the Ritz Carlton Kyoto is illustrated by its current Forbes 5 Star rating as a property of exceptional luxury. This Ritz Carlton also carries the Stay Someday Top-du-Top rating, marking this property as one with the highest level of luxury and most substantial services, amenities, accommodations and offers available for families.
- There is a kimono lunch available including a hair makeover and kimono dressing, then a lunch course in the original historic La Locanda private dining room.
- Kids will love the unlimited free ice cream for all guests under 12 years old.
- Age-appropriate slippers and robes are also provided in-room.
- The nighttime program for kids extends to movie night viewings and games activities.
- Young guests also receive complimentary sweet treats and gifts during their stay. Momentos of the stay with personalised cards and photos are also something to look forward to.