ANA Intercontinental Beppu
The recently opened ANA Intercontinental Beppu is a spa resort on Japan's southwestern Kyushu island. Known for its natural springs, Beppu is an enchanting city surrounded by volcanic mountains, forests, and Beppu Bay. This is a property with beautiful interior design, excellent views, and a selection of activities for the whole family.
Opened late 2019, the ANA Intercontinental Beppu is the first resort of its kind on the Oita peninsula. Design details include,
- Architects and designers Shimizu Corporation worked together with Hashimoto Yukio Design Studio to create a flowing structure that highlights the surrounding natural wonders.
- Many of the materials and craftsmanship displayed are locally made and sourced. This includes Beppu stone and cedar used throughout the property.
- The design includes natural materials giving a chic and rustic feel, connecting guests to nature, in exquisite comfort.
- Water features heavily throughout the property, highlighting the importance of hot springs and wellness to the local area.
Here families will find a selection of large suites that are ideal for large and small parties. The most suitable are,
- Junior Suites (102 sqm) offer ample space within the main bedroom of two double beds and a walk-in closet. The marble bathroom features a large bathtub, walk-in shower, double vanities, and HARNN products. There is a living room with a lounge area, a dining table for 2 guests, leading to a furnished balcony and a private onsen on the terrace. This suite includes access to Club Intercontinental and has beautiful views from every room through floor to ceiling windows.
- Premium Suites (96 sqm) include a corner aspect with views over mountains and Beppu Bay. The master bedroom includes two double beds and direct access to a furnished terrace. The marble bathroom features a large bathtub, walk-in shower, double vanities, and HARNN products. The living room has a lounge area, a dining table for 2 guests, and a private onsen on the terrace. This suite includes access to Club Intercontinental.
- 2 Bedroom Panorama Suites (212 sqm) feature both a Western-style and a Japanese-style bedroom. The Western-style bedroom connects to a furnished terrace with a daybed. The adjoining marble bathroom has double vanities, a walk-in shower, and a large freestanding bathtub overlooking Beppu. A living area includes both lounge space and a dining room for 8 guests. There is a nearby pantry, a Bose entertainment system, and another furnished outdoor terrace with private onsen. This suite also includes access to Club Intercontinental and includes luxury transport from the local airport.
Restaurants and Bars at the ANA Intercontinental Beppu are inspired by the elements of earth, water, fire, wind, and void. Details include,
- Elements Atelier and Bar offer indoor and terrace dining with á la carte and buffet services throughout the day. Local and seasonal produce are highlights of this restaurant. The bar includes cocktails, craft gin, prime whiskeys, and Japanese shochu.
- The Lounge is a perfect destination for light meals, refreshing beverages, and luxurious afternoon teas.
- AQUA is a poolside bar that includes fresh juices and a seasonal bar menu.
Wellness & Activities
Many of the in-house and local activities are based around relaxation and rejuvenation, using the healing properties of the natural hot springs. There is an onsite spa and many adventurous activities such as,
- The HARNN Heritage Spa includes treatments and therapies that deliver a holistic mix of indigenous local culture, traditions, and botanicals. There are also optional treatments in the private onsen.
- This property has two onsens available, both with additional facilities (wet and dry saunas, cold plunge pools, and outdoor baths). There is also a private family onsen that includes a lounge area and day bed.
- The outdoor infinity pool is perfect for relaxing laps or a calming dip. Sun loungers are available poolside, and there is an incredible view down the valley to Beppu Bay.
- A studio gym is also on-site offering TechnoGym cardio and weight machines, kinesis equipment, free weights, and a dedicated stretching area. Trainers are on hand to assist all gym participants.
- A selection of other cultural and fitness activities are also available through the ANA Intercontinental Beppu, including Yoga and Pilates, a resort art tour, a catered private cruise of Beppu Bay, canyoning, paragliding, cycling, guided tours of the local area, Zen meditation, as well as both pottery and bamboo craft experiences.
A series of dedicated services and amenities will delight children of all ages. Highlights include,
- Use of the outdoor pool (heated to 27 degrees in winter), the family onsen, and custom bathrobes and slippers.
- Delightful seasonal activities at Easter and Christmas, sweet treats and themed dining offers (Halloween), nightly storytime, art and craft sessions, a starry sky night tour, and a local area tour.
- Local tours are operated by lifelong Beppu residents who work with the ANA Intercontinental Beppu.
- There is a complimentary transfer offered from the Beppu train station via a Mercedes V220 shuttle bus.
- The selection of activities in surrounding nature is a great highlight of this property. It is a perfect mix of in-house relaxation and outside activity.